The Leonids peak is upon us with a forecast of 4 meteors visible per hour before daybreak tomorrow here in North Carolina. Look to constellation Leo as it rises in the East, by 5 am, Leo will be ESE. The Ames Research Center has a nice tool to provide hour by hour estimates of meteor activity based on your location.
… the show, not the theory. Neat article on spacey items included on the Big Bang Theory set. James Webb Space Telescope and NASA magnets on the fridge and the Universe on a Beach Ball is seen around the set in various places.
For those families that were out at the Jordan Lake observing session sponsored by Morehead Planetarium, the websites mentioned were:
- Stellarium , free planetarium software for your PC, Mac or Linux
- free star charts updated monthly
- Heavens Above, calculate when the ISS will next be visible over our part of North Carolina
- NASA’s Human Spaceflight site also has satellite spotting information for our area.
- http://tinyurl.com/apexiss, a short cut to the right place in Heavens Above for our part of NC.
- Morehead Planetarium and Science Center